Normand Serre is an experimental research and development facility for plant production and industrial applications based in Normandy. It brings together the region’s stakeholders in plant science and agronomy with the aim of offering innovative solutions to meet the economic and environmental requirements associated with agriculture and land use.
The facility has two main objectives:
- To provide a regional center for technological innovation in the area of plant science aimed at the agricultural industry and agro-industrial sector,
- To develop high quality academic research that will underpin training in plant science and agroecology within the Normandy University community.
Normand Serre is a facility that serves four broad research areas:
- Research into plant diseases and experimentation with new biological control strategies (preventive diagnostics, biological control, stimulation of plant defenses, etc.) Examples of crops studied: peas, flax, potatoes, flowering and food-producing plants
- The workings and preservation of soil (natural environments, integrated farming, organic farming, meadows, etc.) and the performance of crop systems (multi-criteria analysis – economic and sociological factors, etc.) Crop systems studied: systems with plant cover, organic farming, meadows, integrated farming, agroforestry, etc.
- Identification of biopesticides, molecules of therapeutic and cosmetic interest and new industrial applications for biomass (agromaterials, agrofuels, etc.) Examples of molecules studied: glycomolecules, proteins, etc.
- Ecosystem land use and services. Examples of services studied: biodiversity, carbon storage, erosion prevention.
The Normand Serre equipment is used for the research carried out by the Agri’Terr unit.
Key technical equipment
- PCR dynamic 120cm hood with HEPA filter, spill tray and movable cabinet
- 120cm horizontal laminar flow hood with lateral glass walls fitted with a UV lamp, stainless steel work surface with spill tray and antimicrobial coating
- 120cm microbiological safety cabinet, stainless steel work surface with spill tray, UV lamps, lateral glass walls
- Varioskan LUX microplate reader
- Thermo Scientific Gallery multiparameter photometer
- Infrared spectrometer
- VHX-5000 3D microscope
- Life Technologies QS3 QPCR system
Currently being installed
- Phenotyping facility
The driving force behind Normand Serre is the « Plants, Agronomy, Soils, Innovation » research network (VASI) within the large-scale « Land, Environment, Risk, Agronomy » network (TERA). The VASI network includes the following research teams from the University of Rouen and UniLaSalle: AGRI’TERR UP 2012-10-100 (UniLaSalle), ECODIV URA IRSTEA/EA 1293, Glyco-MEV UPRES-EA 4358 and LMSM EA 4312 (University of Rouen).